Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The AT Community

Wanted to post a quick story as I finalize my planning in my last week before the trip.  On this past Friday I had a going away party with some friends and colleagues.  It was a fantastic night, and I think everyone had a fun night.  After my friends had surprised me with a most epic and unexpected farewell gift, a guy overheard me talking about the trip and and interrupted to tell me how his girlfriend has previously thru-hiked and was inside.  I thought it'd be a great chance to make pick someone's brain that's gone through the hike recently.

This may have been one of the best parts of the night.


The woman was so helpful and sat through and answered all my questions, gave me some much needed advice, and was super positive about the whole thing.  After she wished me the best and hugged me good luck she gave me her card with a little note on it: 


I had always heard and read about how strong the thru-hiker community was and how quickly they'd offer help or provide 'trail magic', but I unfortunately questioned that sincerity, or at least thought it was a bit exaggerated.  The fact that I have already experienced that sense of community before I've even stepped on the trail has sent me a powerful message.

*****


I've moved up to Parma for the week and I am doing some final prep, adding and subtracting some gear, and getting my travel plans and first few days of food ready to go for next week.  Will update if something comes up, but I'm anxious and ready to go!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck bro...ill be a few days behind u, hope to see u at trail days

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete