Friday, May 18, 2012

The Smokies

Sorry for the delay.  Blogger doesn't seem to be the best platform for mobile blogging.  The lack of a solid signal and uncooperative platform has made things tough on the blogging front.  I'm in Damascus, Virginia for Trail Days, but am backtracking to some of the sights I've seen in the past few weeks.

The Smokies came up on me fast.  While the miles are slowing adding up, the sights are coming up fast, I couldn't believe I had made it to the Smokies so fast.  I missed meeting up with Jordan and Kate for their big shindig by a few days, but got some excellent rides into Gatlinburg and a Shoney's buffet.  I also hiked my earliest day, walking before 6:00 am to hike up to Clingman's Dome, the highest point on the AT at 6,644 ft.  Photos from my time in the Smokies below.



 Fontana Dam walkway

River trying to coax a ride on the horse.




 Clingman's Dome viewing tower.  Hit this at 7:30 am to avoid crowds.

 Ice Water Shelter had one of the best views in the Smokies


A packed Tri-Corner Knob shelter.  This is the shelter that is farthest from a road on the AT (18 miles either way).

1 comment: