Monday, March 5, 2012

Welcome!

My name's Kevin and I'll be your guide for the next six months as I traverse America's greatest long hike, in an attempt to thru-hike the Appalachian trail.  I've camped my whole life and give full credit to my parents for instilling a wanderlust in me from an earlier age.  In my first few years of adulthood, I've carried on this tradition with multi-week trips with my brother Chub both through New England and the Pacific Coast/Southwest.  Both only temporarily satiated my appetite for travel and adventure.  I've never been a serious backpacker, but have always enjoyed hiking, camping, and everything that goes with it.  An AT thru-hike seemed like the perfect next step for my travels.

Sometime last year I started seriously considering a thru-hike of the AT and have been slowly acquiring new camping gear since, with the visions of thru-hiking popping up consistently in my day to day thoughts.  I fully committed to myself in December and began more serious preparations.  I'll be leaving April 9th to head down to Springer Mountain in Georgia, and will be detailing my last month of preparation and the trials and tribulations of the full hike as often as I can on this blog.

As a way to make this hike useful and worthwhile to someone other than me, I've also set up a fundraising page for Rainbow Babies and Children's hospital in Cleveland.  As many friends visiting this page know, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor at 19 years old, and had my surgery at Rainbow Babies Children's Hospital.  I am incredibly indebted to the hospital and thought if I could help raise any money for them, I would.  Check out the fundraising page for more information and to donate!!!

I'll be adding more to this page regularly, so check back often!

No comments:

Post a Comment